Public Place Injury Claims Glasgow

If you were injured in a public place and it was not your fault, you may be able to claim compensation. Public spaces usually come under the responsibility of local councils who have a duty make sure that the space is safe for public use. This includes the upkeep of pavement, as well as roads for potholes If the council neglect this duty by not paying the due care or attention to the area’s upkeep and maintenance, you may be able to make a claim against them.

What is a Public Space?

To make a claim, it is important to establish if you were injured in a public or privately owned place. A public place is an area designed to be used by the general public. This includes roads, pavements and parks.

Who is Responsible if I am Injured in a Public Place?

The responsibility for these areas lies with the local council. In Glasgow, this would be Glasgow City Council. The council has a duty to ensure that these areas are safe for use by the public. This means that parks should be maintained, and hazards such as broken or uneven walkways should be repaired. The public can make claims against the local authority’s Public Liability Insurance if they are involved in an accident due to the council’s negligence.

What Should I do if I am Injured in a Public Place?

To make a claim against a local council’s Public Liability Insurance, you must prove that you were injured because the council failed to meet their duty of care. An example of this could be a person tripping over broken pavement slabs or being injured on unsafe playground equipment in a park. However, sometimes people are injured by simply falling over, and no one is to blame. In that situation, you would not be able to make a claim for damages.

If you have been injured as a consequence of the council’s negligence, you should start having you injuries checked over by a doctor. A fall may leave you with cuts and bruises, but there is also the potential for more severe injuries such as broken bones, knocks to the head or hip injuries. By giving the doctor a full and detailed account of your injuries, this can be recorded in your medical records. This is critical as the extent and severity of your injuries, in addition to any long term problems they pose, are likely to influence the financial compensation that may be offered to you.

Other factors which would be considered when making a financial claim include the amount of time that had to be taken off work and the level of pain that has been experienced. In some cases, a person will suffer mental anguish and even depression following a serious injury, and this could have an effect on the compensation offer. You may find it helpful to read about compensation award guidelines for injuries such as head injuries, leg injuries and back injuries.

If possible, you should try to take photographs of the area where the incident took place. You should also record the full names and addresses of any witnesses to the accident. This could provide you with valuable evidence to support your case.

You should report the incident to the local council. Most councils will require you to fill in a public liability claim form. Once the council has received the form and assessed your claim, they will determine whether they are responsible for your injuries by failing to meet the necessary standard of care. They may then offer you a compensation award. Local councils are under tight budgetary restraints and the amount offered may not be what you feel you deserve for the injuries you suffered. In this case, you could pursue a personal injury claim against the council, and you should act sooner rather than later as a claim needs to be made within three years of the incident. Get in touch with our expert team today to find out how we can help you secure the financial compensation you deserve.

Contact Glasgow Personal Injury Compensation Claims Today

We are a team of specialist personal injury experts who fight hard to help our clients get the compensation they deserve. Contact us today to speak to one of our experts and find out if you can make a claim. Our no win no fee* solicitors have years of experience in handling public liability claims.

Call us on 01418 465 957. You can also make an online enquiry by completing our claim form.

personal injury lawyer glasgow

Start Your Personal Injury Claim Today

Contact Our Personal Injury Claim Managers Now