Holiday Victim of E.coli Claims £3,000 in Compensation from Tour Operator
Posted: September 22, 2014
Posted in: Accidents and Sickness Abroad Food Poisoning Restaurant Accidents
A man who contracted E.coli whilst on holiday in Tunisia has received £3,000 in compensation from tour operator Thomas Cook.
Mr Pallant was admitted to hospital for several days after his trip to the Vincci Taj Sultan resort in Tunisia in June 2013. He had booked the break through Thomas Cook.
Consuming food that is undercooked or that has been washed in contaminated water can cause the e.coli infection. Mr Pallant said in a statement that hygiene standards were not adhered to in the resort restaurants – with birds flying around uncovered food.
He began to suffer symptoms of the illness two weeks after his return to the United Kingdom. This is the usual timeframe for E.coli to materialize. When mr Pallant attended the hospital doctors were unsure what was wrong, however he was finally diagnosed with E.coli after four days of tests.
Mr Pallant said;
‘I went back to work for a week. It takes about two weeks for it to take effect. By the second week I was really ill. It was awful, it was really awful. I have never been so ill in my life.’
As a result of this diagnosis, Thomas Cook agreed to pay Mr Pallant £2,935 in compensation after he filed a claim against the tour operator.
Thomas Cook issued a statement of apology for Mr Pallant’s illness, saying:
‘We would like to assure customers that incidents of this type are rare, as Thomas Cook closely audits all the properties to which it operates to ensure that only the very highest hygiene standards are maintained. We would kindly ask any customers who may have concerns relating to their holiday to contact us directly and as quickly as possible so that we can deal with them personally in an open, honest and fair manner.’
« New Smart Watches are a Potential Driving Hazard
Ayrshire Recycling Firm in Court Over Employee Losing Arm »